If you’re a camper, then you know that packing light is vital, but what about when it comes to your trash? You don’t want to carry your garbage all week, do you? That’s why investing in a good camping trash can is essential.
The TrashMigo Portable Trash Can is the best camping trash can for ethical campers. This trash can has a capacity of 49.21 liters (13 gallons) and is easy to use as no assembly is needed. Therefore, it’s convenient for an entire family; even kids won’t struggle to use it.
In this article, I’ll discuss the four camping trash cans for ethical campers, including their pros and cons. After reading the article, you’ll be able to make an informed decision regarding the best camping trash can that fits your needs. Stay tuned.
Top 4 Recommended Camping Trash Cans And Garbage Cans All Available On Amazon.com!
Best Overall: TrashMigo Portable Trash Can
Time is an essential element when it comes to camping. You want to have enough time to interact with nature and explore. Therefore, a camping trash can that consumes a lot of time in assembling is a no.
The TrashMigo Portable Camping Trash Can is your go-to option if you’re a time-conscient camper. The tedious and time-consuming assembly is a thing of the past with this trash can. All you have to do is open and extend the locking bars to secure the trash can on the ground.
Moreover, you don’t have to worry about carrying the can anywhere, even with limited space. The can has foldable locking bars to save on space. These bars can fit in your bug-out bag without protruding. It also has a carrying case where you may store other personnel effects.
- Ease of use: The can doesn’t require assembling. You only open and extend the locking bars for stability.
- Sturdy: The can is made of high-quality stainless steel frames that can withstand heavy loads.
- Space-saving: Although it comes with locking bars, you can easily fold these bars to occupy less space. Its round shape also makes storage easy.
- Capacity: With a capacity of 49.21 liters (13 gallons), you can rest assured the can will serve your entire family conveniently.
- It needs a flat ground: The trash uses foldable bars for stability. These bars need a stable and flat ground to prevent the can from toppling. Therefore, it may be inconvenient for unstable grounds.
- Folding and unfolding the locking bars can be challenging: You must know how to fold and unfold the locking bars for ease of use. Thus, it might be challenging if you just acquired the trash can. Consequently, you’ll be forced to spend time learning how to go around the process.
If you’re looking for an easy-to-use, space-saving camping trash can, then the TrashMigo Portable Trash Can is your best bet.
Best Collapsible Can: Trailersphere Collapsible Bin
Collapsible trash cans for camping are essential for campers who move around a lot. You don’t want to be lugging around a bulky trash can if you have a small car. That’s where the Trailersphere Collapsible Bin comes in handy.
This bin can collapse flat when not in use, making it easy to store and transport. It has a capacity of 13 gallons (49.2 liters) and can be opened easily.
- Easy to transport: The bin collapses flat, making it easy to carry wherever you go.
- Prevents odor: The can has well-designed air vents that ensure efficient air circulation to prevent a build-up of odors.
- Easy to use: It comes with clips that keep it open throughout the period it’s in use. You don’t have to keep opening and closing.
- It’s multipurpose: The intricate design creates extra space where you can store other belongings.
- It’s complicated: Its design, which creates many spaces, also makes the trash can complicated to use. Therefore, it can be challenging for kids.
- It needs ample space: With dimensions of 18 x 18 x 3 inches (45.7 x 45.7 x 7.6 centimeters), the can requires you to have enough storage space.
Durable: Lusso Gear Leak Proof Trash Can
Camping involves traveling through different climates and terrains. You’ll go through rain and scorching sun. Sometimes, you’ll have to camp in some rough terrains. Therefore, you need a trash can that can withstand different conditions without wear and tear.
The Lusso Gear Leak Proof Trash Can is your go-to option if you want an option that will serve you for long. This trash can has a lifetime warranty and you can notify the manufacturer anytime you have a problem with it. Lifetime warranty is an assurance that the product is high-quality and won’t disappoint you when on a camping trip.
- Easy to use: The trash can has a removable leak proof liner that makes emptying easy. You don’t have to carry the entire trash can to empty. It also has a flip-top lid that makes opening and closing easy even for children.
- Space saving: The trash can is small with a capacity of 13.25 liters (3.5 gallons). This makes it easy to fit anywhere, even in areas with limited spaces.
- It’s sturdy and strong: The bin won’t bulge or sag as its sides have been reinforced for stability. As a result, you don’t have to worry about getting the can to full capacity.
- Value for money: This trash can is built to last long and ensure value for your money. Its lifetime warranty is a guarantee for durability.
- It’s small: It has a capacity of only 13.25 liters (3.5 gallons), which might not be enough for some campers.
- Unsuitable for all weather and different terrains: The outer covering is made from canvas and this material may not withstand extreme weather conditions like hot sun. It can also tear apart in rough terrains.
Nowadays, the weather is unpredictable due to climate change. You can leave for your campsite in dry weather and suddenly, the rains start. You know what happens to trash when it comes into contact with water; it starts decomposing and producing odors.
The Penguin Purchasing Pop-Up Trash and Recycling Container is an all-weather trash can that will protect your trash from the elements. The can is made from high-quality and durable materials that make it resistant to water, UV rays, and extreme temperatures.
- It’s an all-weather trash can: You can use it during summer and winter without worrying about odors due to the decomposition of the trash as it comes into contact with the elements.
- It’s spacious: The can is suitable for family use as it’s large and you don’t have to worry about it getting filled up. With a capacity of 33 gallons (124.9 liters), you can rest assured of an undisturbed camping experience.
- It’s easy to transport: It comes with sewn-in handles that make transporting an easy task.
- Easy to clean: The container is made from waterproof materials making it easy to clean even with a wet brush.
- It’s large: The can is large and might not be suitable for solo campers who don’t generate a lot of trash.
- Durability: It’s less durable because of the material. Therefore, it may not be an option for campers who have kids.
Factors To Consider When Choosing a Camping Trash Can
There are many options for a camping trash can. However, not all of them will suit your specific needs. Therefore, you should consider the following factors before deciding which is best for you:
Practicality & Price!
You certainly don’t want to be carrying around trash in your vehicle, and hopefully, you don’t find yourself in a situation where you would have to bring it back home with you! So you need something practical!
For instance, you can go as simple and as practical as just getting a camping trash bag holder along with some extra trash bags, and you’ll be good to go. This will also help keep your costs down and not have to spend a full garbage can.
Here’s a trash bag holder you can use for camping as well so that you have an idea for planning your camping trip with that family.
Camping trash cans come in different sizes. You should choose one that aligns with your camping needs. The following considerations should guide you:
- Your camp’s duration: How many days will you spend in the camp? The more days, the larger the camping trash can you’ll need. You’ll need a sizable can to store all your trash.
- The number of people: How many people will be accompanying you to the camp? Will you be going as a family or alone? If you’ll be alone, a small trash can is enough. However, if you will be going as a family, including kids, the amount of trash will be greater, translating to a larger can.
The shape is an essential consideration before buying any trash can. The significant concern is how much space you have to store the can while in the camp. If you’ll spend your time in a small tent, a rounded trash can is best to save space. On the other hand, any shape can do if you’ll have enough accommodation space.
When it comes to trash, it’s always annoying to get too involved. Once you’ve washed your hands, you want to avoid the garbage. Furthermore, you won’t have sufficient water in the camp to keep washing your hands. Therefore, you need to stay as clean as possible.
Trash cans come with different lids, each with a different capability to protect you from the trash. These best types of trash can lids for camping are:
- Step-on lids: These lids open by stepping on a foot pedal. They are the most efficient when it comes to hygiene. You’ll not get involved with trash too much as you’re only expected to step on a pedal to open the lid and dispose of the waste.
- Swing lid: These are lids that swing on slight touch. You don’t need to pull the lid to open the container.
Camping trash cans come in different sizes, shapes, and capacities for different campers. As a camper, you have different needs for a trash can. Therefore, although all the camping trash cans discussed here are excellent, you should consider personal preferences before buying one.